Sunday, November 8, 2009

Halloween, Camping & Canning


Somehow we made through Halloween without carving this humongous pumpkin, it just sat on our table for a month. So, now, after the holiday, we are attacking this pumpkin and making a ton of stuff. I didn't know you could make so much food with one pumpkin. First we made 3 pies, then 2 pumpkin delights (thanks to the Jacob & Tiff). We also made a yummy pumpkin shake last night, 1 batch of pumpkin muffins (thanks Mary) and then Travis insisted that we can pumpkin bread!! Well, I'd never done it before, but it was pretty easy. We just made the batter, filled up pint jars about 1/2 way and cooked them in the oven. They took about an hour to fully cook, but cook they did. Then we took them out, put the lids on and they sealed right up. We did 2 batches canned and have enough pumpkin to probably do 4 more!! Isn't that crazy? One pumpkin can make a TON of food.

Here you can see the slices of canned bread. It just slid right out and Travis sliced it.



Okay, the Monday after Halloween we went camping out of Homer (south of here) w/some friends and their 2 little boys. Here's the beautiful mountains as we were leaving.


Travis and the boys were pulling in the boat with the rope. They are so strong!


We caught some delicious crabs while we were out. These are called tanner crabs. They taste sooo good dipped in butter & garlic.
Our friend Brian, trying to fight the crab as it came out of the pot, alive and snapping.


Silly Me trying to take pictures of Tracker & I, while we were riding on the boat.
Trayton helping Dad drive.

Okay, here's our Halloween pictures. So sorry I didn't picuters of the boys for you guys to see. All we did was paint & cut out cardboard and tape the pieces to their coats. This is Tustin's. There was a tail coming off the bottom, but it fell off. I tied claws and feet to their boots & hands. They also had half a plastic cup w/jagged teeth tied over their nose.

Trayton's


After trick or treating. They wasted no time in taking off their costumes. It was a pretty hectic Halloween for me. Travis didn't make it home from the scout camping trip, so I was on my own. I did bring a stroller for Tracker, but the wheels wouldn't exactly move when I wanted them too. It was a trunk or treat in the church parking lot w/chili & hot cocoa. So while Tustin was raring to trick or treat, Trayton wanted to eat the chili. But Tustin had to throw a fit while I we were eating (he refused), but Trayton didn't even eat his chili! So I was stuck holding his food, and trying to move this stroller that wouldn't move! When we started trick or treating it got better. Plus, the costumes were constantly falling apart. Ugh, next time if the kids start acting that way, we are going home!!!!!!! I'm glad everyone else had fun. :)

5 comments:

The Kellers said...

Sorry guys, I've been trying to change the background, and I'm not sure what I've done, but it's not working. So if you could help me out, and fix it. Becuase I give up!!!!!!

Little Holts said...

You just need to make sure you copy all the code for the background then paste it in the box for the background then save.

Little Holts said...

The boys are super cute Ned. I really wish we could see them sometimes! When I see how big they are I still can't believe Trayton is as big as Sariah. It's been way too long since we saw them (and you !) Jacob says the pumpkin bread looks tasty.

MaryLue said...

Wow, I didn't evan know you could csn bread! It doesn't sound like it would work to me, but they sure are cute little round slices. (I've never really canned anything so what do I know about canning.

Sorry, to hear your Halloween was so crazy! I wish you could have come had Halloween with us. Why, didn't you just fly on out here? :) We love you guys!

Little Holts said...

I keep looking at your pictures and keep wishing we could visit you guys! Someday we'll get up there to see you guys.