Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year! (Week #1)

Happy New Year everyone! Another year is gone, and we have a new one ahead of us. The last week I have been thinking about new year's resolutions. I personally never make them. Jacob is the goal setter (and achiever) unlike me. I have never liked them, even though Jacob is always after me to have a goal in mind. I have been thinking of Wilber Glidewell and thinking of what an impact he had on the lives of everyone around him. Anyone who remembers him has good memories of him and a great opinion of the kind of man he was. So, I'm starting out this new year with quotes from him and a few from his parents. I'll post them on here for you guys also so you can follow along if you would like. The idea is to take the quotes and do your best to follow them that week. Then the next week add the next to that one and try to become a better person little by little this year. I'm already really excited about it and am stocking up on quotes for the year. My day today has been so much better already and the kids are really happy simply because I'm trying my best to be happy. I want our kids to have a positive happy outlook on life, and they aren't going to have that if I don't. I want to be happy and productive even though Jacob is gone and I don't know when we'll be together again. I want to find the joy in life and be a better person, so here it goes!

This week's quote is from Paul Glidewell: "No matter what the job, do it like you enjoy it and do the best you can."

I'm going to try to do my scripture study this year to match the self-improvement project. To start this quote off I'm going to study the talk by Elder Wirthlin from conference. "Come What May and Love It" is the title I think. If any of you would like to join me with this this year or even every once in a while that would be great. If you don't want to that's fine too. Put the success stories here if you want.

I picked this quote to begin with so that I can start with some happiness since Jacob left yesterday. I'm back to life without him and most of you probably know that I despise doing the dishes and the laundry. Now I'm back to doing them without him here to help. Who wants to wash the same dishes and mountains of clothes day after day? Not me that's for sure! So far today with the new outlook I've been able to do the dishes, sweep the floor and take up the trash all with a smile and not lose my temper when the kids interrupt me in my dreaded tasks! Keep smiling on the outside until you feel it on the inside is the mantra for the week.

4 comments:

The Kellers said...

Tiff, I love your idea. I'll follow along and put the quotes on my fridge, so I can see them everyday. It's good learning all of the Grampa's sayings too. Maybe we could add in some other favorite people quotes, too (ie. mom, dad, Gordon B. Hinckley, apostles, other ancestors etc) if we run out.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Little Holts said...

I'm happy someone else will do this with me! Hooray! It's always easier to keep up with something if someone else does it with you.

MaryLue said...

It's interesting that I had a very similar experiance today. Gary is gone on a scout campout (Iknow it's only 2 days) but I was dreading ending our vacation w/o having him and we had a huge mound of laundry to do before he left. I was started the day sour when my kids woke up early and active and then instead I got my kids involved with the laundry and we've had a pretty great day. I was doing what Grampa says w/o realizing it. I like your idea Tiff!

Little Holts said...

Yea! I'm excited that you guys like the idea, and I'm excited that your day went along with mine even though you didn't purposely do it. And hey, don't feel like you have to downplay Gary being gone since Jacob is gone so much more now. If Jacob was here like he used to be I'd be dreading the scout trips just like you are now! hehe