Sunday, February 14, 2010

Diaper tutorial

So this one is for Nettie. I put it on here since sending it via e-mail would have been a long download/upload time for both of us.



A few notes:

I use the inside of my foot with the needle in the regular position for my seam allowance guide when I top stitch everything. You can top stitch at any width that you really want to. Just make sure you are going through all the layers so that everything is tacked down so the diaper ends up nice and flat.

For the casing on the elastic I have a mark to the right of my foot that I follow. I'm pretty sure it is the 1/2" mark with the needle in the center position. It's really important that you have the needle in the down position when you re-stretch the elastic on the casing each time. Otherwise the fabric shifts around when you pull on it and your seam won't be straight.

Oh, and the reason I put clips where the ends of my elastic are is because I like to have an easy reference for where to turn to begin and end the casing. You can use pins just as well for this project. I just like the clips because they go on and off quickly, and pins do not go through so much bulk very easily. I usually end up bending the needles. Call me if you have any more questions.

2 comments:

Travis'wife said...

Thank you so much Tiff! I saw elastic done that way before, but wasn't sure how to do it. Your tutorial helps a lot! I'm excited to make a second attempt at a diaper.

Unknown said...

WOW...The tutorial was sooo professional. I could see everything you were working on. It was so clear. I hope you posted it on you-tube and stuff it is really good....Love YFM