Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Beating the heat

It's hot here. Really, REALLY HOT. Therefore we use water, lots and LOTS of water. It was 90 something when I woke up at 7 this morning. Craziness. It's half past 8 at night now and it's cooled down to 85 with a heat index of 100. Humidity is some nasty stuff.

This is the exoskeleton that a cicada shed. I think I spelled that right. You can hear them in the woods all the time. The are there by the thousands and are really loud. Jacob has thought it was crickets he was hearing all this time we've been here. Nope, it's these suckers. I don't think I've ever seen one alive, and they live around where I grew up. We did find these on the sides of trees all the time though. Joe thought it was pretty cool. He's way into bugs right now. He says they are "my friends." He played with this guy for a long time


Here is the nifty FHE sign I made. I don't know if I ever got around to posting it. If I did, well, here it is again. We had a paper one from Primary on our fridge, but it finally bit the dust. Rebekah helped me make this one, and she made name tags on her own. I'm going to replace those eventually once I decide how I want them to look. I'll make a new one once John is old enough to participate with us. Not bad for a few bucks for a plaque from Wally World and a dollar for the hooks.

No comments: