Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mushrooms Anyone?


So, Jacob & Tiff, we don't have much for gross disgusting insects, but we have quite a few poisonous things. It came to my realization as I looked around our lawn & couldn't hardly walk from one end to the other without the chance of stepping on a mushroom. Now some of them aren't poisonous, and most of the ones that are, are not fatal. But they make you feel terrible if ingested. So I'm constantly telling my boys to not touch them, but they can't seem to resist stepping on them, shoes or not.


But here is a rubarb stalk with leaf. The leaf is poisonous!! So my boys are informed of that. The stalk is the harvested part that we put in pies or jams. It's very tart.


And here starts the mushrooms. This is the biggest one I found. Travis was very curious one year and bought a few books on what the different kinds of mushrooms are. Some of the good ones that are edible have a poisonous look alike, that you need a well seasoned "mushroomist" to help you figure out if it's the right one or not. So Travis decided not to eat any mushrooms he finds.
We also happen to have the ONLY poisonous berry that I know of called Baynes berry in our yard. Wonderful, huh? The boys also know this is poisonous and not to eat it.






These ones have little spikes! Or they're dying, not sure.



I believe this is a fatal mushroom if ingested. And it's also in our yard. Ya, great!! Actually all of these mushrooms are in our yard. It's really pretty though. Sycadellic.

Huge.






This one looked like a heart, it's pink too. Unfortunately the prettier they are, the more poisonous.










1 comment:

Little Holts said...

Hooray for no poisonous, nasty bugs! I'll take mushrooms and berries any day over that. While you were taking pictures of these yesterday Jacob and I were taking pictures of all the spiders and bugs around our house last night. Blech...I didn't want to go to bed last night for fear all the bugs and spiders would come out of hiding and get me!